Re: #252 Wednesday weeds

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 07:55:30 -0700

Graham showed:
Subject: #252 Wednesday weeds

Leica M2 : 50mm DR Summicron : close focus specs : Agfa Vista 200
> http://www.geebeephoto.com/2005/05252.htm<<<

Hi Graham,

My first re-action was "Hey nice shot with the thistles separated from the background and having them stand out so well.

But what really blew me away was.... "He did it with a range finder Leica M2!" It would never in a million years ever occur to me to try this type of picture situation with a RF Leica. As it just doesn't go with my years of M Leica shooting ( mainly people action things happening) and I'd have worked with an SLR.

I realize the lenses work exactly the same lens to lens and same aperture. But not being able to see the separation in the rangefinder window and the sharpest point of the weed it would be un-nerving at best expecting it to turn out as well as you've illustrated.

However, trust me as beautiful as this is I'm gutless to give it a try and will unfortunately continue in my old ways with the R8 or whatever. ;-)

Damn good photo from a simple subject! It's always your wonderful photo eye and putting it on film making it work! :-) A fine example of KISS! :-)

ted