[kismac] Map stuff

  • From: ard.jonker@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 11:27:37 +0200

Hi Mick, list,

I noticed that sometimes (hard to reproduce) I can load an
'oversized' map image yet cannot zoom out. That is, initially the
'map' window shows the map scaled down and fit to window. When I save
the map as kismac map and proceed, at some stage, possibly sometime
after reloading the map (definitely happened both when calibrated and
when not calibrated) I can not zoom out, while I only see a small
portion of the map. I'll try to reproduce my steps when this occurs,
and meanwhile, this might be a lead for others to watch for the same
behaviour and report such.

Maybe for clarities sake, the GPS locations (last position, current
GPS reading, GPS position of the mouse pointer when it is over the
map) all deserve a place of their own in the 'map' window edge.

Another thing that I found out, maybe something for a manual, is that
if you have calibrated the map and choose the 'set current position',
then after clicking the map, you get your current location predefined
in the dialog box.
Had 'show current position' not been used for displaying or hiding
the 'breathing spot', it might have been better to have the menu read
as 'show current position' rather than 'set current position'.

The 'set current position' allows you to check your GPS receiver and
your map calibration against your known position. I mean by this: if
you have a map calibrated using eg. an atlas and you have recorded
your GPS home (house) location for a longer time (overnight; a few
thousand readings), you can check if the average location of the
house actually shows the correct coordinates when you click on your
house in your calibrated map, and by switching on the GPS, you can
see if the 'trace' is wandering around your house or that it is way
off.

Ehr, Mick, 'reset GPS subsystem', doesn't by accident mess up
calibration too, does it?

Ard