[kismac] Re: MAC Spoofing with ibook G3

  • From: Derrick J Brashear <shadow@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 00:19:33 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, N. Karras wrote:

> The original iBook airport slot will accept a regular PCMCIA card.  That's
> one step in the so-called Silver-To-Gold solution, where you turn an Orinico
> 64 bit (Silver) into an Orinoco 128 bit (gold) card via software update.
> However...  When such an Orinoco card us inserted, the computer will only
> treat it as an Airport card, since Apple's airport card is essentially a
> Lucent Orinoco card.  From what I have read, it will not work with other
> wireless cards even if they do fit.

The flipside seems not to be true, e.g. an Airport card in a machine isn't
recognized as an Orinoco card.

I have an Airport card which is apparently French and thus won't let me
use channels 1-9. I thought perhaps I could convince it to take Orinoco
firmware since the Mac is uninterested in flash updating it, but no such
luck.