[kismac] Re: MAC Spoofing with ibook G3

  • From: Michael Rossberg <mick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:59:55 +0100

>> The original iBook airport slot will accept a regular PCMCIA card.
>> That's
>> one step in the so-called Silver-To-Gold solution, where you turn an
>> Orinico
>> 64 bit (Silver) into an Orinoco 128 bit (gold) card via software
>> update.
>> However...  When such an Orinoco card us inserted, the computer will
>> only
>> treat it as an Airport card, since Apple's airport card is
>> essentially a
>> Lucent Orinoco card.  From what I have read, it will not work with
>> other
>> wireless cards even if they do fit.
>
> The flipside seems not to be true, e.g. an Airport card in a machine
> isn't
> recognized as an Orinoco card.
>
> I have an Airport card which is apparently French and thus won't let me
> use channels 1-9. I thought perhaps I could convince it to take Orinoco
> firmware since the Mac is uninterested in flash updating it, but no
> such
> luck.

I would not do this! The Apple card uses another firmware. It is
similar but not identical. You will most likely damage your Airport
Card.
Apart from this you will need to flash another firmware, than the
normal (if i recall it right there are three different firmwares in the
orinoco cards). So you will not be able use some modified Apple
Upgrade.

mick

-- File: PGP.sig
-- Desc: This is a digitally signed message part