[kismac] KisMAC Maintenance

  • From: Michael Rossberg <mick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 23:02:12 +0100

Hi everybody,

as you have all more or less noticed, i am no longer able to maintain kismac at all. i am currently doing an internship, which pretty much eats up all my time. worse than that one of my flat mates told the t- com, that we no longer need our dsl :o(. there will be no change of this situation at least until april.
now to be honest i am an enemy of forks. forks have the side effect, that a lot of work is done twice and even worse a lot of fork tend to die early. only few of you may know that there had been a fork of kismac already. no need to search for it anymore... instead of forming a community website, where everything grows wild, my proposal would be the election of a new maintainer and/or people who may commit changes. the advantages are clearly better code and the security that there is a person in charge. i would fully support such a solution, with my advice, webspace and help (the last thing after april). what do you guys think? somebody who would volunteer? robin? geoff? globo? i would write a request for a new maintainer etc. on the website, if some of you like the idea. i think this way we are able to steer this "eruption", and force it in a steady direction.

now to more particular problems, that i want to give some comments on:
- the sourceforge idea: sf is nice if you have some unix project. with all the compile servers etc. binaervarianz can give us way more flexibility (as we control the server ourselves)
- the patches by Geordie (themacuser): i actually integrated two of your patches in my private source tree. the reason i did not post them, was you third patch. the ethereal thingy. you hard coded the ethereal path and the code was imho a bit "messy". which was something i wanted to clean up, but then the internship started. i also wanted to do a couple of tests before checkin, because of the rather large changes.

Good night evening (or whatever time it may be in your place) and thanks for all the participation =)

mick

p.s. globo thanks for the sms, would not have read these mails...