[kismac] Re: KisMAC Maintenance

  • From: Geoffrey Kruse <gkruse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 20:27:12 -0400

On Jan 27, 2006, at 6:02 PM, Michael Rossberg wrote:

Hi everybody,

as you have all more or less noticed, i am no longer able to maintain kismac at all. i am currently doing an internship, which pretty much eats up all my time. worse than that one of my flat mates told the t-com, that we no longer need our dsl :o(. there will be no change of this situation at least until april.

Sorry to hear, I'm sure things will slow down eventually.

now to be honest i am an enemy of forks. forks have the side effect, that a lot of work is done twice and even worse a lot of fork tend to die early. only few of you may know that there had been a fork of kismac already. no need to search for it anymore...

I have to agree, forks are bad, I whole heartedly prefer spoons.

instead of forming a community website, where everything grows wild, my proposal would be the election of a new maintainer and/or people who may commit changes. the advantages are clearly better code and the security that there is a person in charge. i would fully support such a solution, with my advice, webspace and help (the last thing after april). what do you guys think? somebody who would volunteer? robin? geoff? globo? i would write a request for a new maintainer etc. on the website, if some of you like the idea. i think this way we are able to steer this "eruption", and force it in a steady direction.

I am willing to volunteer as maintainer as long as everyone understands I have -ZERO- experience in doing such things. I have currently just finished school and will have some spare time until I find a job. Perhaps the best solution would to have co-maintainers. That way if in the future one person finds themselves with other commitments, the project won't stagnate.

now to more particular problems, that i want to give some comments on:
- the sourceforge idea: sf is nice if you have some unix project. with all the compile servers etc. binaervarianz can give us way more flexibility (as we control the server ourselves)

I like the idea of having our own server, that way we can continue using .kismac as well as open up trac.

- the patches by Geordie (themacuser): i actually integrated two of your patches in my private source tree. the reason i did not post them, was you third patch. the ethereal thingy. you hard coded the ethereal path and the code was imho a bit "messy". which was something i wanted to clean up, but then the internship started. i also wanted to do a couple of tests before checkin, because of the rather large changes.

It would be nice to update the most important things right away and maybe put out a "stable" release. This would probably generate some renewed interest in the community.

Good night evening (or whatever time it may be in your place) and thanks for all the participation =)

mick

p.s. globo thanks for the sms, would not have read these mails...

Geoff