[kismac] Re: GPS Physical Connection for KisMAC

  • From: Galen <gzink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 22:28:01 -0800

It's neat to hear about the new USB GPS devices coming out. But does anybody note the price on these things? I sort of factored out anything over $500 when I was looking around. But still, doesn't seem like there are very many out there yet.

Back to my original question, what are you guys all using for your serial adaptor? I'm familiar with the Keyspan stuff, which I guess works great, but it seems awfully expensive (IMHO) for stupid simple serial input that every computer from the Mac Plus to Beige G3 could do for free (just a little re-wiring to fit the connector). So my question is probably really what is the cheapest solution available. Not so much because I can't possibly afford a Keyspan, but because it's providing me with a so incredibly fundamental function, yet it's so expensive. Kind of like the way cartridge manufacturers charge so much for their brand-name cartridges, yet they don't really cost much to make...

-Galen