[kismac] Re: GPS Physical Connection for KisMAC

  • From: Michael Borthwick <holden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:03:53 +1100

On 23/02/2004, at 5:28 PM, Galen wrote:

It's neat to hear about the new USB GPS devices coming out. But does anybody note the price on these things? I sort of factored out anything over $500 when I was looking around. But still, doesn't seem like there are very many out there yet.

Back to my original question, what are you guys all using for your serial adaptor? I'm familiar with the Keyspan stuff, which I guess works great, but it seems awfully expensive (IMHO) for stupid simple serial input that every computer from the Mac Plus to Beige G3 could do for free (just a little re-wiring to fit the connector). So my question is probably really what is the cheapest solution available. Not so much because I can't possibly afford a Keyspan, but because it's providing me with a so incredibly fundamental function, yet it's so expensive.

You could try wire wrapping your own USB-Serial serial protocol converter out of discrete IC's and then writing your own driver, or buy the chip from http://www.dontronics.com/usb_232.html, design a PCB, load the chip and surface mount connectors and then download OSX drivers from the manufacturers web site.

You might save a little cash if you buy a PC version that has a DB9 connector - I've seen some pretty ugly looking ones for USD$20 but then you'll need to make an adapter cable if you want to use any of your legacy Mac serial peripherals with DIN connectors.
Personally I just bought a 2 port Keyspan at Fry's last time I was in the US - but Vegas makes you a little reckless with your money ...