[kismac] Re: GPS Physical Connection for KisMAC

  • From: Pat Heidingsfelder <heidingsfelderp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 07:58:53 -0600

I just got the Garmin GPSMAP 60C about to three weeks ago. The best internet price I could find on it was $389, I went to the local West Marine and paid $369 plus tax. I really really like the unit!! It will even do auto routing while on the road. It is geared towards geocachers. I actually use it with the keyspan adapter due to the lack of usb support. I got the adapter for pretty cheap, off ebay!! I think I paid $15-$20 or so. Let me know if you have any questions about the Garmin.

On Feb 23, 2004, at 1:12 AM, Galen wrote:

It's neat to hear about the new USB GPS devices coming out. But does anybody note the price on these things? I sort of factored out anything over $500 when I was looking around. But still, doesn't seem like there are very many out there yet. Though that 56 MB Garmin with a color screen sounds nice... anybody got a unit I could "review" ? ;)

Back to my original question, what are you guys all using for your serial adaptor? I'm familiar with the Keyspan stuff, which I guess works great, but it seems awfully expensive (IMHO) for stupid simple serial input that every computer from the Mac Plus to Beige G3 could do for free (just a little re-wiring to fit the connector). So my question is probably really what is the cheapest solution available. Not so much because I can't possibly afford a Keyspan, but because it's providing me with a so incredibly fundamental function, yet it's so expensive. Kind of like the way cartridge manufacturers charge so much for their brand-name cartridges, yet they don't really cost much to make...