[kismac] GPS Physical Connection for KisMAC

  • From: Galen <gzink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 19:13:47 -0800

Hi,

I've got a Garmin eTrex Legend GPS with the serial cable. I love the device as a standalone, but I _hate_ the way it uses a serial cable for connection. C'mon GPS manufacturers, serial is OLD, yet last time I checked, a total of ZERO native USB GPS devices existed! (Yes, I do know they have bluetooth receivers, but those don't work standalone and cost a bundle, and PDA receivers are too fragile, cost even more, and not designed for sending location data via their USB connection)

I'm now ready to hook my eTrex GPS up to my computer, biggest use will be KisMAC, but a secondary use may be some commercial mapping software (like the National Geographic topo maps thing) - what do you guys recommend for hardware? From what I've seen serial adapters run $40-60, something like 1/3 to 1/2 the price I paid for my GPS! It's a little ridiculous, but I'm ready to bite the bullet and purchase one if I really must.

So, what brand do you use, what did you pay? Also, I've got these Palm USB serial adapters around here - a Belkin one, a Palm-branded one - and they look like they could work, but they don't do anything under 10.3 with KisMAC (though they work great with Palm Desktop). Any suggestions there?

-Galen