[JA] Re: surge protection

  • From: mmmcrae@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 07:45:40 -0400

On 7/13 there was the following exchange:

> I bought a new SP that has telephone line
> protection included and have kept the SP switched on at all times.

No need to keep it turned on.  Surge suppression is entirely passive;
it's always on duty regardless of the position of the power switch.

On the other hand, many surge suppressors are ineffective, regardless.
Perhaps the majority don't actually work.  Isotel from Tripplite is one
brand that does the job.  It costs about thrice the price of a suppressor
that fails to suppress, but I figure anything ineffective is
overpriced.>>>>>>>>>>>>

Can someone give me an idea of what criteria to use when buying a surge
protector?  There are too many choices out there for me!!  I live out in
the country where the electric lines can be a bit funky.  I think I want
a SP with phone line protection but I'm not really sure if that is useful
or not.  Where are the Isotel units available?

Marie