[JA] Re: surge protection

  • From: Billy Wong <bhs1989@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 11:46:04 -0400

On Sun, 15 Jul 2001 07:45:40 -0400 mmmcrae@xxxxxxxx writes:
> Can someone give me an idea of what criteria to use when buying a
> surge protector?  There are too many choices out there for me!!

   The top criteria IMO is how many outlets you need!  The surge
protector I bought last autumn has eight outlets (two are widely spaced
for those plugs that have adapters like an external modem's or speakers).
 All of them are in use.

   My SP is the Computer PowerCenter PC700 made by Monster Cable Inc.,
which I got for $30 at MIT.  Has all the fancy stuff like the "Protection
On" and "Ground On" lights, the phone line protection, even each outlet
is colorfully labelled for specific hardware.  I'm pretty happy with it
despite its rather "unknown" name.

   You may feel different about brand names.  If you need a top name that
is reliable, I would say go for it.

> I live out in the country where the electric lines can be a bit
> funky.  I think I want a SP with phone line protection but I'm
> not really sure if that is useful or not.

   IMHO don't buy any SP that has NO phone line protection included.  To
this day I blame my last modem's death because my phone line was
unprotected.

   ___Billy Wong___
   BHS1989@xxxxxxxx
   http://www.geocities.com/billythekid1602445