[JA] Re: importing a message saved as a text file? [was: message statuses]

  • From: Don L Elias <donelias@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 00:06:34 -0500

You must edit the text file that the message was saved to:

Copy the top line (the "from" line) and paste it so there are now 2
"from" lines.  Remove the colon (:) following the "From:" in the
first line.

Also you must remove the following line from the header:

Save it as a text file and now you can import it.

By the way, I just happened to remember that if you import it
and the cursor is on it, that will automatically change it back to
"read."  If your are doing this process to many files, only the first
one will be "read", the rest will be "new"

So if you have many files to do this to, make sure they are in the
same directory.  Highlight the ones you are interested in by
holding down the control key while clicking the mouse on each
to be selected. Then click on Forward and all of the selected files
will be added as attachments.

Now do "Save message as text file" and all of the files will be
put end to end in one text file with a few lines of overhead that must
be removed.  Then make the changes to the from and the x-status
to each file and save it when done.  When you import it, all the files
will be imported.

(An interesting point here:  if you change only the first file, it will
be the only file imported, but it will contain all of the original files
end to end.  In other words, the from line with no colon followed
by the from line with the colon defines the beginning of the file.)

You may have to put a dummy file as the first one because it is
going to be set back to read with the cursor on it.

Let me know if this is not clear or doesn't work for you.

Don Elias