[JA] Re: deleting viruses unopened [was: empty message first]

  • From: J�rel DD Arbaugh <computerist@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, no-tag-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 22:05:16 PDT

}Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 15:16:25 EDT
}Subject: [JA] deleting viruses unopened [was: empty message first]
}From: "J. Random User" <jamu007@xxxxxxxx>
}
}On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 21:56:46 -0500 "Robert M. Cosby" <jvpoa@xxxxxxxx>
}writes:
}
}> I fail to see how this could protect against getting viruses.  I
}> understand you cannot get a virus from opening a plain text message
}> such as we receive through Juno, and we cannot avoid opening any
}> Juno messages anyway [...]
}
}See.  Did you read that?!?   Come on, someone just has to explain it
}better.
}
        Juno version 2 and later support MUCH more than just plain text
messages.  Juno 4 and 5 use parts of M$-Internet-Explore that support
things like Active-X or M$-java-script (distinct from java) that includes
support that can pass a trojan or virus.

        If you use these versions of juno, then make sure that you keep
windows/explore up to date with all of the patches that plug holes
"currently" used by virus/trojan/worm code.  (Most of the current bugs
use holes that are plugged by the older updates!)

        If you use juno 4 or 5, and have M$-word, make sure that Internet
Explore is configured to use WordPad, nor Word, to open word files!
WordPad lacks support for word macros, that can include "macro-virus"
code!
--
| Computerist.    KG6HNO  This user is located in California.  It is a
violation of California law to send unsolicited commercial mail to this
user.
---