[JA] Re: earthlink spam

  • From: J�rel DD Arbaugh <computerist@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, no-tag-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 22:30:18 PDT

}Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 22:49:52 -0500
}Subject: [JA] earthlink spam
}From: user1634

}Spam from changing names @ earthlink.*
}I keep getting spam from various names
}where I click the remove my address
}from your list . Only the next day I
}will receive spam from another new
}name @earthlink.* (net or com ) ,
}mainly the address seems be always
}have somename@earthlink.*
} I was wondering if anybody
}else was having this spam problem ?

First:  While there have been some reports at success with using
"remove" links, they often only cause your address to be validated, and
added to lists sold to other spam-skum.

Next:   What said it came from earthlink?  The "From: " header is
almost always forged by spam-skum!

Finally:        The true source is found in the "Received: " headers,
though a lot of the time forged ones are included!  Reading these to
detect forged headers, is as much art as science.

        abuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (or .com) is the place to report SPAM that is
really from earthlink, but I doubt that what you are getting is.

        To report SPAM, you MUST include the full headers, INCLUDING
"RECEIVED: " with the report.  The full text is also required by some
ISPs.  (I have seen no complaints when I am unable to include full text
due to juno V1 message size limits.)
--
| Computerist.    KG6HNO  This user is located in California.  It is a
violation of California law to send unsolicited commercial mail to this
user.
---