[JA] Repeated loss of access to large email files

  • From: carolynstoffel@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 11:06:16 EDT

Robert -

>While contentedly using J1.49 in November, 2000, and having perhaps
>3,500 >messages in both InBox and Sent mail, my system locked up and
>prevented >access.

------

I'm using 1.49 and have had lock-ups with the loss of thousands of
messages.

If you want to go back to 1.49, I'll be happy to give you some of the
things I've tried and done, not always successfully, and some may be
"superstitious behaviors" that may have no effect.

First, I create a new Inbox on the first of each month. I do it via DOS,
renaming the Inbox FOLD####.FRM to an unused folder number and changing
the DIRECTOR.FRM file to reflect this (InboxJune because you can't use
the same filename twice).

If you can finally access the files, "move" the last message, always the
last message, to another folder. I've sometimes had MAJOR problems when
I've tried to work from the beginning of large file but less so if I
start at the end and work towards the beginning.

As the destination folder has more and more messages, moving takes longer
and longer. I try to reserve these sessions, therefore, until a
particular acquaintance calls because her calls can be .very. long -
several hours. Moving messages is a mindless job with long waits. Hit a
key, listen to her, hit a key, listen to her. I don't think she even
realizes I'm doing it.

The one time I tried importing files I was very unhappy - I now had two
identical files when I was short of hard drive space. Easier to go into
DOS and start renaming, making sure I change the DIRECTOR file to match.
If you don't know the correct name to use, just use your kids' names or
old girlfriends' or whatever. Keep a list on scratch paper, then change
them in DOS. (I've had Juno lock up when I tried to change folder names
from within Juno.)

Because I had quite a few lock-ups while exiting, I made my "deleted"
folder visible and switch to it at the end of a session, then exit from
there.

If I can hear my system working, I wait patiently. Sometimes, when I fear
a long processing time, I do that task just before bedtime and let Juno
take all night if it wants to. Sometimes it wants to..... I think the
"record" was about 18 hours.

I've also created multiple "sent" folders. Unfortunately, only
FOLD0003.FRM acts as a sent folder. "Sent" messages in any other folder
are treated as incoming messages.

I can provide more ideas or detail if you wish, but only on 1.49. I do
have less problems now that my folders are smaller.

>Yes, "us" is the millions of small, disgruntled Juno users who have >yet
>to locate juno_accmail.

 Or, for that matter, how has juno_accmail been publicized
>to >all users?

-----

Well, when I was having .major. problems, I asked on some of the lists
(various canine) I'm on. Someone told me about this list and I joined
posthaste.

I'm mind-boggled that Juno deleted your accounts because you used the web
for access.

Carolyn Stoffel
Rakena Basenjis - Puppup and Cotton
The Canine Contingent; The Puppuppies - Pendant, Insula, Mosey
Phoenix, Arizona
carolynstoffel@xxxxxxxx (No Internet access)
http://rakena.freeyellow.com/index.html