[JA] Repeated loss of access to large email files

  • From: "Robert M. Cosby" <jvpoa@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 21:57:13 -0500

Thanks for responding, George.  I hope my many questions are not boring
everyone!  If some of these issues have by now already been addressed in
the last few days, please excuse and skip them.  My history is as
follows:

While contentedly using J1.49 in November, 2000, and having perhaps 3,500
messages in both InBox and Sent mail, my system locked up and prevented
access.  Believing that Juno was forcing me to upgrade, since it had been
beating me to death with messages, (but which I didn't want to do because
I am only interested in text and wanted to prevent receiving viruses), in
desperation I went online in December, 2000 and upgraded to J4.  My old
User file was eventually saved.  However, my old email files remained
inaccessible.

J4 worked until April, 2001, when it also failed along with my computer.
Guess what: viruses!  Again in desperation, to buy time to get things
fixed, I began using Juno Online through a library computer.  In its
wisdom, Juno wrote me that my going into my account through the web so
often was bypassing their advertisers, an illegal action, and so they had
terminated my account.  Horrified, I tried everything I could think up.
Finally, a friend of mine made an appeal to the Juno web master.  After a
couple of months without service, he sent me a note saying my explanation
had been accepted, and my account was reestablished on the first day of
June, 2001.

So, I got another computer, and started up again with J5.  After a long
time, someone was willing to fix, and go back into, my first computer HD
and save the old first and second Juno User files to disc.  Subsequent
efforts to import the old email files into J4 by a Juno techie friend,
Andrew, with a much better computer than mine, actually crashed his
computer also, when he tried to import one of the large email files.  He
is well protected by Norton, and the disk had also been scanned by
InnoculateIT.

J5 worked until the "inadequate memory" notice appeared July 1, 2002, and
failed.  I again had about 3,500 InBox and the same in Sent mail, as you
know.  Yes, I was locked out of my whole account, including all folders,
all mail.

So, now I have three saved Juno User files containing lots of email, and
cannot open any of them.  Efforts to import known small email folders as
a test have also failed.

Using the import feature, I can only import the file titles, but when the
importing process says it has successfully imported the email, nothing
shows up under the file name, and yet the system locks up with the
inadequate memory message.

As I have said several times, the Backup Wizard doesn't work for me.  It
refuses to save large email files - just skips right over them, and when
I've asked it to import non-email files, it has imported something from
the wrong account.

I don't know enough about J4 to say what Andrew tried.  However, when I
tried to import the J5 stuff using the Juno "Manage Email Folders", it
presumably tried to import the mailbox.'s as a set, if that is what is
necessary.  At the other times when I tried to copy and paste manually
what I thought was the email-containing file, I think I just set up the
new account and tried to substitute the ..bdb file alone.  Neither
attempt worked.

If there is a lesson to be learned here, I'm all for it.  Currently, I
plan to pull out my entire User file every 6 months and start over.
Hopefully, that way I can plug it back in when needed to look up old
messages.  Yes, I delete everything I don't want to save, and everything
I write needs to be saved forever.  That amounts to about 10 messages per
day for each at this point, or 3,000 each per year.  Remember, nowhere
does Juno warn or give a solution to this file size problem!

Yes, I Scandisc, and defrag, and backup, and deworm, and wash my cables
every night (just kidding on this last!).   :-)

Yes, "us" is the millions of small, disgruntled Juno users who have yet
to locate juno_accmail.  So, what have we collectively been doing in the
past 6 years to have Juno answer these important basic issues for
everyone?  Or, for that matter, how has juno_accmail been publicized to
all users?

As has been pointed out, neither Juno's electronic responders nor website
nor Presidential email nor Juno humans of any kind provide this
information.  Your information is extremely helpful to us serious
writers!

Many thanks!
Bob C.