[JA] Re: OT - Software needed

  • From: thepccat@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 09:08:00 -0700

Well, spelling errors from dyslexia are not accurately predictable,
though the bumper sticker urges "Dyslexics of the World, Untie!"  ;-), so
it is doubtful that there is some miracle software "out there" which is
customized to the job.

Existing means *could* help him to a degree.

Juno "Spell Check" checks for errors to its dictionary, and will make
some suggestions, but untie and unite are both in the dictionary. You
cannot add error checking to Juno dictionary, your additions are just
ignored spellings.

Existing software in Word can be configured to "auto correct as you type"
any set of characters into another set of character. One classic example,
that even those not diagnosed with dyslexia are said to do, is "hte" for
"the"  [turns out, Juno Spell Check picks this one up, and, among its
suggestion, is "the."] [actually the one I do often is "it" for "if"
figure that out!]. One could set that into auto correct and write in
Word, or copy, paste, and check in Word.

Another way to look at this is to affirm that email is a medium where
variation is tolerated, even welcome, as it is a work in progress where
the author's unique style may be expressed [notice I spelled e-mail as
email, because, though it does not "pro-nounce" properly, it types more
easily]. As we are a work in progress, as he is a work in progress, as
this sentence is probably not to grammatical.

Hope that helps,
thepccat

PS: As far as getting the English spell checker part of your email, I had
an amusing situation with this, years ago. We inherited [our first]
computer with Word 5x for MAC, but with British English spell checker. I
knew no practical way to get the proper file for American English. I
would submit articles for a newsletter, and our very educated editor had
to respell all the British-isms back to American-isms after I had used
the spell checker to fix my "misteaks." I wonder what she thought...

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002 01:29:33 EDT carolynstoffel@xxxxxxxx writes:
[...]
> He just told me that there's no software that will "help" with
> dyslexia
[...]> having to change his spellchecker to English spellings, though.