[JA] Juno to give some money back

  • From: jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 13:21:09 -0400

Can I get paid back by someone I never paid?

>   >>From: George H Lunt <glunt@xxxxxxxx>
>     >>The Company currently anticipates that the compensatory
>     >>payments will be approximately $800,000 and has accrued
>     >>a liability for that amount representing its estimate for the
>     >>probable loss.

>JH>  We who paid no money get none back, alas.

GHL> I didn't get that out of reading this at all...

GHL> Doesn't say anything at all about people who cancelled the service
> because they were incurring long distance charges being either
> "Free" or "Pay-for" subscribers.  Nor does it say anything about "Free"
> or "Pay-for" accounts with regard to the "specified rebate programs".

True, but remember it's a financial warning for stockholders that the
company has incurred an unexpected debt to someone, not a notice to
consumers that the company may owe them something, so it doesn't give
irrelevant "who's who" detail.  Surely a user who paid no money is not a
participant in a "specified rebate program," and in general it is
uncommon for merchants to owe money to consumers who paid them no money.
"Money back" is more likely to go back to people who paid.

If the million dollars are to be distributed equally among us free
riders, I shall look for my thirty cents in the mail, but really I expect
it to be several dollars or even tens of dollars for each member of a
much smaller group which I have not joined.

- Jim in Manhattan, replying to interesting messages a couple days late.

OR visit http://freelists.dhs.org