[JA] Re: Juno to give some money back...

  • From: George H Lunt <glunt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 08:44:11 -0700

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001 jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx writes:

  >>From: George H Lunt <glunt@xxxxxxxx>
    >>The Company currently anticipates that the compensatory
    >>payments will be approximately $800,000 and has accrued
    >>a liability for that amount representing its estimate for the
    >>probable loss.

>One should bear in mind that this million dollars, or probably less,
>is to be distributed among some of the hundreds of thousands of
>pay subscribers, not us few million free riders.  We who paid no
>money get none back, alas.

Hi Jim, and All,

I didn't get that out of reading this at all...

"Under the terms of the consent agreement,  Juno is required to give
notice regarding the possible availability of redress payments to certain
subscribers who cancelled the service and identified either the
unavailability of local access numbers or the incurrence of long distance
charges as a reason for such cancellation, as well as to subscribers who
participated in specified rebate programs."

Doesn't say anything at all about people who cancelled the service
because they were incurring long distance charges being either "Free" or
"Pay-for" subscribers.  Nor does it say anything about "Free" or
"Pay-for" accounts with regard to the "specified rebate programs".  It's
mostly about people who tried Juno and quit them because they were
incurring long distance charges and the FTC sided with them that Juno
didn't do "enough" in properly informing them of this possibility.  And
you could incur those types of charges just as easily with a "Free"
account as a "Pay-for" account.

George Lunt ..... so. cal.

OR visit http://freelists.dhs.org