[JA] Re: Juno - Pop Mail

  • From: Linda WJ <pettey-admin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, no-tags-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 00:32:45 -0800

Hi George & All,

Back on Nov 12  I asked how people found out about Juno 6.0 and also that
Juno offered "pop" mail.  The next day I came down with the flu and I'm
just now getting back to reading my e-mail.

> Linda > After joining this list I found out Juno now offers
> > "pop" mail service. ...... even today when I checked,
> > the site still indicates they don't offer it.
> > http://www.juno.com/techsupport/preview/email/misc/smtp-pop3.html

> George responded:
> Do you see in this address where it says "techsupport"?  Would you
> believe there's a "whole other world" of Help on Juno's Web site that
> pertains to Juno 6 .....  When you "get" into that side, you'll note
that
> instead of "techsupport" it'll fork into "support" instead.

> Juno wants to HELP you find the right help, so they've
> installed a cookie on your machine that tells the site that you're a
> Juno 5 or older user and sends you to the "techsupport" side of the
> Help matrix.  And no matter how you try to get over to the "dark
> side" by plugging in "support" instead, when it starts to load a
> page it checks for that cookie and there you go, out the door and
> back to where you "belong".

Then you went into how to delete the cookies to get to the "support"
side, etc.  Well I'd run into a particular page in Juno Help where they'd
ask me what version I was running, so I went back to see if I could find
it again.  Here is the page:
http://www.juno.com/contact/brand.html?next=http://www.juno.com/support/s
tart/copy.html   (Since the URL will probably break in transmission, try
this:  http://tinyurl.com/vncv)

On that page it says:

  In order to provide you with the most accurate support, please select
the version of Juno you currently use from the options below.

  If you are using Juno 5 or earlier, then your program icon should look
like this [logo]

  If you are using Juno 6 or QS, then your program icon should look like
this [logo]

  If you are using Juno for Mac OS X, then your program icon should look
like this [logo]

So I just clicked "using Juno 6.0" and then I could see all the stuff you
were saying is under "support."  I need to go back there and do some more
looking around.

I've never deleted Outlook Express from this computer so I set things up
to use Juno's pop mail according to the info several of you provided.
Bingo..... I actually got it to work!!  I don't think I want to use
Outlook since it's such a "virus magnet" but I'm glad to know I got
things set up properly.

> >Is anyone using Juno 6.0?  Do they send you tons of ads?

> It has an "ad banner" ..... but it takes up an inch and a half of
> room all the way across the top of your screen, and yep it displays
> ads. ..... And yes, you get just as many ads as with any other free
> Juno account...  but you get them while surfing the Web and when
> reading your e-mail...  it's always there as long as you're connected.

Thanks for the info you supplied.  I think I'll just stick with Juno the
way I'm using it now!

Linda