[JA] Re: Juno - Pop Mail

  • From: "George Lunt" <glunt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:30:40 -0800

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 Linda WJ <pettey-admin@xxxxxxxx> writes:

>After joining this list I found out Juno now offers "pop" mail service.

Hi Linda, and All,

You're Welcome...  LOL

>When did that happen?  How did people find out about it?  I've never
>received notification of any kind.  I've been checking their web site
>periodically to see if they were offering "pop" mail but even today
>when I checked, the site still indicates they don't offer it.

When they released v6...  now remember, don't shoot the messenger...
August, 2002!  So long ago that we don't talk about it much anymore
because the "specialness" has long ago worn off I suppose.

Juno 6 is just a dialer, no e-mail program, and it uses POP and SMTP
servers.  So there was no "automatic upgrade" kind of thing because the
software and connection method was so entirely different.  If you talk
to a Juno Tech rep and tell them you use v5 or older they'll still say
"Nope, you can't use POP and SMTP to get and send Juno mail".  How's
that for brass?

Actually, if you're a real glutton for Juno punishment, you can use the
Juno software as your mail client with Juno 6...  yeah, yeah, why would
you want to...  but it's possible and the Juno folks will tell you No to
that too.  You just have to open Juno 5 first, then connect via Juno 6.
It won't work the other way around.  So I can understand why they don't
recommend it.

>From: http://www.juno.com/techsupport/preview/email/misc/smtp-pop3.html

Do you see in this address where it says "techsupport"?  Would you
believe there's a "whole other world" of Help on Juno's Web site that
pertains to Juno 6 and it's not nearly as shy about discussing POP and
SMTP servers.  When you "get" into that side, you'll note that instead
of "techsupport" it'll fork into "support" instead.

Back when Juno 6 first hit the street, you could actually just wander
into the "dark side" by plugging http://www.juno.com/support into your
browser and wow, there's a Help "over there" that's every bit as big as
the "techsupport" side.  So how come you can't just stumble across that
now?  Because Juno wants to HELP you find the right help, so they've
installed a cookie on your machine that tells the site that you're a
Juno 5 or older user and sends you to the "techsupport" side of the Help
matrix.  And no matter how you try to get over to the "dark side" by
plugging in "support" instead, when it starts to load a page it checks
for that cookie and there you go, out the door and back to where you
"belong".

I'd tell you the secret of how to get over to the "support" side, but
then, of course, we'd have to kill you...  just kidding, just kidding.
You have to get rid of that Juno cookie, then when you go to the site,
Juno will think you're "fresh meat" and try to take you in the other
direction, away from the old e-mail software, and steer you toward Juno
6.  So first you kill off the Juno cookies, then you go to their Home
page, http://www.juno.com, click on Help and enter the "Magic Kingdom".
Look in one of the boxes on the right (you'll understand when you get
there) and click on the "Email" link.  You'll find listings pointing to
instructions about how to setup your Juno account for use with Outlook
Express, or Eudora, or Outlook...  with step-by-step instructions.
Think I'm kidding?  You'll be totally blown away...

OK, to get rid of the cookie, use Windows *Start*Find*Files and Folders*
to look for files in your \Windows\cookies folder that contain the word
Juno.  You'll probably find at least a couple.  Make it easy on yourself
and delete them all.  You may have to enter your username again at the
Web mail site, but that's about the worse thing that's going to happen.
That is except now you're going to be sent to the Juno 6 Help instead of
the Juno 5 and older Help.  But that won't last long...

Hmmm...  come to think of it, if you use Juno as your ISP, the Juno
software might try to put the cookies right back.  So you may want to
log in, open your browser, get all set to go to the Juno home page, and
then delete the cookies.  If that doesn't work, and you'll know when you
get to the Home page and click on Help and see a flash of the \support
address fork, but then it quickly reverts to \techsupport...  if it
does, go back to the Home page, delete the cookies again... they'll be
back in \Windows\cookies again... then click on Help and see what
happens.  If it still doesn't work you're going to have to wait until
you're on someone else's machine, or connected through NetZero, or
another ISP, or at the library, or whatever...  just not Juno on your
machine.

>I also never received any word about Juno 6.0 being available either.
>For some reason they apparently want you to continue to using their
mail
>reader.  I suppose because of the ads that pop up when you first start
>Juno.  (I've always wondered if maybe they don't do some spying on you
>besides.)

Who knows their reasoning...  except that it's a pretty different world
using v6 obviously, and maybe those of us using v5 and older, well,
we're kind of a captive audience to sell their own wares to...??

>Is anyone using Juno 6.0?  Do they send you tons of ads?  (I sure
>get a lot more on my free e-mail accounts than I do for the one
>address I pay for.)  What e-mail software are people using?

I have it installed on my machine, but use it?  No, not regularly.  It's
a backup and for "experimenting" around with.  It has an "ad banner", I
forget, maybe they call it a "Toolbar"...  shoot, I know they have their
own name for it...  but it takes up an inch and a half of room all the
way across the top of your screen, and yep it displays ads.  It's very
reminiscent of the top of your Juno software screens, from the ad banner
up.  And yes, you get just as many ads as with any other free Juno
account...  but you get them while surfing the Web and when reading your
e-mail...  it's always there as long as you're connected.

George Lunt ..... so. cal.