[JA] Re: Juno Chat?

  • From: thepccat@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 10:21:22 -0700

Chat has never interested me. I put my foot in my mouth often enough,
even with time to consider and write email posts :-). I think the quality
of discouse benefits from consideration and reflection, which is easier
when you use email. I'm afraid if I did chat it would sound like "The
Babbit and the Bromide" [reference Danny Kaye, for lyrics see
http://www.angelfire.com/film/dannykaye/Babbit.htm,  or reference
Ziegfeld Follies (1946, MGM) Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire in "The Babbit
and the Bromide" Directed by Vincente Minnelli]:
"nice weather we are having, but it gives me such a pain, I have brought
my umbrella, so of course it doesn't rain..."

Chat is a way to communicate back and forth with person(s) of your
choosing in near real time. You can choose a list of people to chat with,
add and remove as desired. The desired people have to be online at the
time. I think some modern systems implement smileys, fonts, etc., or they
can be plain ol' text.

Chat has been around since IRC [Internet Relay Chat], AOL started
popularizing it, now there are handfuls of different chat systems, and
one question is how interoperable are the various chat systems: will you
be limited only to Juno folks to chat with?

Another question is that chatrooms are a very potent means to give your
name to spammers, much more than. There are supposed to be ways to limit
this, if you wish to chat, but I'd recommend finding out how before
dipping in.
-----information extract from
http://www.cnet.com/software/0-3227888-8-6602372-1.html ------
How do you get on spammers' lists, how do you get off, and how can you
stay spam-free? CNet provides many of the answers in true investigative
journalism style. Matt Lake opened 12 free e-mail accounts and used each
to conduct a single, different online function. What he found is
interesting and useful. Reassuringly, online shopping, subscribing to
e-mail newsletters, and registering a product or software online are
relatively safe activities unlikely to attract much, if any, spam.
Engaging in chat sessions or participating in online lotteries, on the
other hand, expose you to a high risk of generating spam. Posting
anything on Usenet is by far the top spam-bait activity.  Here's a
must-read for anyone who wants to get and stay spam free, with
interesting side excursions into a host of related material.
----end information extract----

Finally, chat software supposedly installs a type of server on your
system [only while the app is running?]. Then you can become vulnerable
to computer attack or hijacking via that connection. I'm still trying to
get a handle on how dangerous this is and what to do to protect onself if
one decides to do chat.

The biggest barrier for me is I have not yet found a place and group with
which I want to chat, rather than emailing.

I bet someone else in the group could fill us in on the facts, benefits,
and risks of chat...

thepccat