[JA] Re: V.5 spell check

  • From: George Lunt <glunt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 19:53:25 GMT

On 3 Aug 2001 Babette C Bloch <bvcb@xxxxxxxx> writes:

+++++
A friend told me that occasionally his Juno v.5 spell checker works
automatically...it corrects something without his doing a spell check. He
doesn't mind...just wondered if v.4 does that, which in my experience it never
has.

Is this a feature of v.5?  I told him to check the options to see if there was
a toggle switch to have spell check work automatically or not.
+++++

Hi Babette, and All,

How new to Juno and/or v5 is your friend?  We all know that you set Juno's
spell checker to "run automatically" before sending your mail and perhaps
that's what your friend is referencing.  Juno has always (and still does in all
v5 versions) licensed their spell checker from a third party.  They use the
Sentry Spell-Checking Engine (SSCE).

Note the spell checker program file is ssce.clx and may be found in the
\juno\lib subdirectory, file size = 339,835 bytes along with all the associated
.tlx files are the same spell check files they been using since v2 came into
existence mid-1998.  My guess is they are basically the same as the ones in
v1.49 with whatever modifications may have been necessary to make them
compatible with for 32-bit operation.  Copies of a couple of the .tlx files
"Ignore" migrate to User directories when you setup words to be "Ignored" by
the spell checker, or add words to the dictionary, etc.

Note that in v2 the SSCE program file was named scceam1.clx and remained that
way until Juno shortened beginning with v5.15.  But if you check the file
sizes, you'll see they're all the same.

So I think if your friends Spell Checker is running mysterious checks on its
own, then his/her installation has probably gotten corrupted.

George Lunt ..... so. cal.

OR visit http://freelists.dhs.org