[JA] Re: Groaning under AVG

  • From: thepccat@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 08:51:45 -0800

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 21:31:50 -0500 Jim Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx>
writes:
[...]
> Of course, without most of a Gigabyte free, you may encounter
> difficulty
> writing a CD.  Usually you need room for the entire disc image on
> HD,

That is true for the primitive app which is native in Win XP, and some
others. That is not true for, for example, Nero 5.5 or 6--the caching can
be modified and the app looks at the free space available and responds
accordingly--if necessary the writing stops and starts without ruining
the CD-R if the burner has buffer underrun protection. I don't recommend
running with a full disc, but some do...

[...].

> > Equally scary is how do I put these files on a
> > new system that wouldn't yet have Internet access
> > when they're too big to transfer by floppy.
>
> Right.  Use an external USB connected drive for such transfers.

I forgot about the solid state USB device. They cost $25-50 now . USB
hard drives are now $80-$150 so at a desirable price point. Most
computers in the last several years have USB ports. Since USB support is
built into the O/S it should operate if the O/S itself is running [that
is without excess load on the computer]. And no complications from the
UDF CD-RW burning format.

thepccat

[...]