[JA] Groaning under AVG

  • From: Jim Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 21:31:50 -0500

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 13:49:28 EST Rakenas@xxxxxxx writes:

> The problem now is that they've .really. loaded my system.
> AOL has a little spot that reports memory usage.
> That's jumped from 48% to 88% with AOL closed.

On my P-133 with 64 Megs RAM I don't run any of these kinds of
protection, since it connects only by modem, thus spyware and especially
viruses aren't much danger.  However, about a month ago I upgraded AVG on
a relative's P2-400 which has DSL.  It conflicted with an old forgotten
virus checker which I removed, but then her MSOE was still very slow.
Also it lost the ability to load my mail page at Juno Webmail, which
isn't so important because she doesn't use Juno.  After signing in,
webmail.juno.com takes several minutes and then times out, without
showing the list of messages.  So, now I suspect AVG is causing these
mail problems under DSL.

Sunday was warm and sunny so I bicycled there and reconfigured AVG to
continue scanning incoming and outgoing mail but to stop putting notices
on good mail and just notify when evil is discovered.  I should have
experimented with turning off the AVG mail scan to see whether Juno and
MSOE start working properly.  Next weekend I'll try that.  Maybe AVG 7
has simply become too heavy for five year old computers.  I may have to
get her a less antiquated one for her DSL, and take back her old one for
my own, unprotected, modem connected use.  High speed connections require
heavy protections, bringing a lot more costs than just the price of
faster service.

> I'm beginning to think "new computer". This one has a 1.6 gig
> hard drive. I think I was using about 400 Mb until I installed AOL,
> then available free space dropped to around 750 Mg.

Half a Gig free is vast as far as most old-fashioned Web and mail
software is concerned.  I'm running 460 Megs free here, which is also
vast, and I know someone who is doing nicely with Juno 4 on a 420 Meg HD,
160 Megs free.  You are running AOL 8, and have not indicated running a
CD writer or other software that uses much HD working space, so a bigger
hard drive is unlikely to fix anything unless you are running some greedy
software that you haven't mentioned.  If a new computer fixes your
problems, it's more likely to be by having workable software
configurations rather than by bigger disk space.

Of course, without most of a Gigabyte free, you may encounter difficulty
writing a CD.  Usually you need room for the entire disc image on HD, so
if you're getting a CD writer you should also get the bigger hard drive.
Or a whole new antique computer that can write CDs, if you want to.  Half
a Gig isn't vast for a CD writer.  It's very crowded.  My CD writing
computer usually has a few Gigabytes free disk space.  Maybe that's the
one I'll give to my relative and then upgrade her current one so it can
write for me.

> Equally scary is how do I put these files on a
> new system that wouldn't yet have Internet access
> when they're too big to transfer by floppy.
> Oh, well, there .has. to be a way so I won't
> worry about it.

Right.  Use an external USB connected drive for such transfers.  I love
the Memorex 128 Megabyte drive that dangles from my keychain and use it a
few times most weeks.  You can get them in Gigabyte sizes.  Just need
USB.  If no USB on your computer, then use a parallel port drive or else
an Ethernet connection between the computers.

> Juno - didn't keep sent messages, didn't request
> confirmation of deletes (so when ads slowed the
> reaction down, I hit delete again and lost messages

Too bad you didn't tell Juno to keep sent messages as I do.  Also too bad
you didn't recover your lost messages from the Deleted Messages folder.