[JA] Firefox/Thunderbird

  • From: Rakenas@xxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 13:49:28 EST

Larry -

> >>Firefox is just a browser.  Thunderbird is just a mail/news reader.  The
> >>predecessor to them is the Mozilla Application Suite which includes a
> browser
> >>and a mail/news reader.

-----

<pause> Zone Alarm just blocked an attempt on port 80. Whatever that means -
Zone Alarm says don't worry about it, nothing bad happened.

I .finally. collected my courage and installed Zone Alarm, AVG, AdAware,
Firefox, and Thunderbird. Still have Spyblaster and Spybot uninstalled.

Zone Alarm is being a bit of a pain - I have to keep telling it to allow the
AOL connection even though I thought I was also telling it to remember this
setting.

AdAware found a bunch of questions, mostly cookies I think. AVG reported no
viruses.

The problem now is that they've .really. loaded my system. AOL has a little
spot that reports memory usage. That's jumped from 48% to 88% with AOL closed.
(The higher that figure goes, the more everything slows down and the more
likely I am to have the system freeze up.)

In addition, free space on my hard drive has dropped significantly and it's
taking .much. longer for the system to start up, start a program. Next month <
twiddling thumbs> maybe?

When I came in here this morning, the hard drive was grinding away for no
apparent reason. I tried to shut it down but it froze on "Windows is shutting
your computer down." Turned it off, turned it back on, "memory test fail, F1 to
continue".

I'm beginning to think "new computer". This one has a 1.6 gig hard drive. I
think I was using about 400 Mb until I installed AOL, then available free space
dropped to around 750 Mg. Downloaded the software files, AVG itself was
almost 10 Mg. Now that I've installed several of them, free space has dropped
633 Mb as I recall. This is scary. Equally scary is how do I put these files on
a new system that wouldn't yet have Internet access when they're too big to
transfer by floppy. Oh, well, there .has. to be a way so I won't worry about it.

Firefox and Thunderbird are installed but I don't know if I have all the
settings right. Called BasicISP ($6.95 a month, paid monthly, one email address
-
additonal for a dollar a month each, 30 days free telephone support,
additional free support via email) and she helped a bit.

What I've run into in the past, though, is finding out too late that I've
missed something. Juno - didn't keep sent messages, didn't request confirmation
of deletes (so when ads slowed the reaction down, I hit delete again and lost
messages, didn't have deleted messages as a visible folder at the time,
either), etc.

With AOL I discovered, too late, that "read" messages only stayed in "Old
Mail" for a default three days and could only be kept a maximum of seven days,
while "Sent Mail" disappeared after 27 days. Yes, I can move them to "Filing
Cabinet" but it's a .pain. to find something there.

So, if you, or anyone, especially anyone in Phoenix, is using Firefox or
Thunderbird, please tell me which settings I need to consider changing before I
start using them.

I have about a week to change email lists over and doing so can take that
long if listowners need to manually approve (I hope other-George isn't back in
Hawaii....) the subscription.

Next - write Bob a message about a new computer.

Carolyn