[JA] Automatic spellchecking?

  • From: Carolyn Stoffel <carolynstoffel@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 16:09:24 EDT

Babette -

>"The automatic thing I discovered is automatic correction, no matter
>how >the spell check got started, automatically or at your command.  I
have >not found a way to opt out of this automatic correction process.
If,
>for >"artistic" reasons I want a misspelled word in the text, which has
>been >corrected automatically, I must go back into the text, after the
spell >check, and change back to the misspelled version.

------

Considering some of the legitimate words I've seen  various spellcheckers
- not just Juno's - object to (including people's names), the incredibly
.wrong. suggestions, and the limited vocabulary of others, I want no part
of an automatic correction.

I'm on a number of canine genetics lists. I doubt that a spellchecker
knows about chromosomes, mtDNA, AKC, etc. I know I had to add
"coccidiodomycosis" to the dictionary. (Never can spell that sucker!)

Just for the heck of it......

It wants "spellcheck" and variants as two words. I should have addressed
this message to "Ba bette" (what's .that.?), "Baguette(s)" or
"Barrette(s)".

And, yes, I sometimes deliberately mis-spell words for effect, not
including the times that this old keyboard (it came off my 286) writes
"oo" for "o".

Carolyn Stoffel
Rakena Basenjis - Puppup and Cotton
The Canine Contingent; The Puppuppies - Pendant, Insula, Mosey
Phoenix, Arizona
carolynstoffel@xxxxxxxx (No Internet access)
http://rakena.freeyellow.com/index.html