[jhb] Re: Ronaldsway

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 20:11:24 +0100

To put it into perspective, the only custom built hangars are the old Manx Airways'. I forget who made that but, IMHO it's a very creditable effort.

The other custom built object, by Ted Andrews, who has never seen the real place, is the Terminal building complex.

All other objects used by Tony were stock items.

In a Freeware production like this, as an FSX user, I'm quite happy with that balance. If Ted had been asked to custom build all the other buildings, then we'd probably have been on FSXI before he finished. Had MS not cut the ground from under it of course.

Now in development, by Earth Simulations, is a much higher definition version of the IOM photoscenery. I think Darren's intention is to do custom versions of all those objects presently in stock form.

I've just posted off a DVD of shots from all over the Island. Two places defeated me. Andreas, with its "Private, Keep Out" notices, can't be overlooked from anywhere. The other, on finals to one of the Andreas runways, is Trevor Hemmings' Ballavoddan Manor. It was easy to see for the first few years after it was built, about 15 years ago. Now the trees have matured and totally hide one side. I got a shot of the front, across about a mile of parkland. Thanks to a decent Tamron lens and Elements, at least that aspect will give him a clue.

Damn, I forgot to get shots of Mount Rule. A last job for next week.

Another for the Christmas list, together with Jersey, Guernsey, Sark and the Scilly Isles.

Gerry Winskill

Fossil wrote:
Hangar 2 looks about right but should be taller - it used to be Silver
City's hangar for Bristol Freighters.

Hangar 6 behind you is not quite right. It holds two Citations and is about
the right peak height but the roof pitch is far shallower. It is also a
vivid blue and has no windows.

http://www.island-images.co.uk/Aircraft/2009%20Air/0902111138.html - this
shot shows the Manx Airlines hangars, Hangar 4 and the Nissan huts facing
taxiway E.

http://www.island-images.co.uk/Aircraft/Air08/GC301308.html - this shows
Hangar 1 (now demolished) and Hangar 6. To the left of Hangar 6 is a new
hangar (number unknown) and the corner of Hangar 2.

http://www.island-images.co.uk/Aircraft/Air08/GG241144.html - show the front
of Hangar 2. The odd ridge at the front of the hangar was built to allow the
tail of the Bristol Freighters through.

http://www.island-images.co.uk/Aircraft/Air08/GA091502.html -also shows the
general area but you can now see the little Hangar 3 which contains just a
PA30 and AA5.

After hangar 2 it gets a bit complex but the attached photo should clear
things up a bit. Hangars are numbered where known. The question mark shows
the new hangar, N is the Nissan huts and W is the new Woodgate hangar. C is
not a hangar but a Catering store. A photo of the area -
http://www.island-images.co.uk/Aircraft/2007/FA181530.html - isn't all that
clear as the hangars have the same colours and merge into one another.