[jhb] Re: Ronaldsway

  • From: "Fossil" <fossil@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 18:45:09 +0100

The funny things with design is that you can get it reasonably correct and it
will look good to most FS users. For real pilots it still looks terribly wrong
and it is only when you start getting buildings accurate to about 5 feet
placement and correct height and pitch does perspective start to slot into
place. I guess this is due to our imprint of layout from familiar use – we just
know what it should look like.

Even when the buildings are as accurate as you can make them – as in my FS2004
release – it can still look wrong. The final problem is that FS airfields are
flat and that isn’t true to life. If you sit on 21 threshold at EGNS you are
actually looking down at the public school adjacent to 03. Although 21 is only
55ft AMSL and this sounds insignificant it is far from it. The height of the
public school to the top of the flagpole on its tower is 128ft (useless fact
number 4157) so at 21 threshold you are already almost half this height.

If we go the other way and sit on 03 threshold then most hangars in Area M
cannot be seen – only the roof lines are visible. In FS it looks completely
wrong and only full 3D terrain mapping of airports will cure this.

bones

 <mailto:bones@xxxxxxx> bones@xxxxxxx