[jhb] Re: ADS Viewer

  • From: "Fossil" <fossil@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 17:30:25 +0100

The server puts a bit of load on the laptop so I tend to kill it if doing
other CPU intensive tasks. It gets worse as I increase the number of
recipients. I also forget sometimes when I reboot the machine - which is
frequent at the moment as I am testing other software too.

One such program is an SBS add on which lists all the aircraft received into
a neat table:
http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/SBS/Article/Images/AD01.gif

This program is a great add on and it runs permanently on my spare PC. If
you are busy elsewhere and not watching the screen all the time this list
shows you everything that your SBS has picked up. It's a sort of logging
utility with bells and whistles.

A new feature that we are playing with right now is to show pictures of the
last 10 aircraft received:
http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/WebPost/ADM.jpg

I thought this would be a bit gimmicky at first but it has proved more
useful than I guessed. With a straight text listing of aircraft you don't
always notice unusual ones but the pictures are far more obvious. Only a few
moments after I started running the montage an Antonov AN12 popped up which
I hadn't spotted at all followed by a rare DC8. Oddly enough as I wrote that
the DC8 popped up again:

http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/WebPost/ADM2.jpg