Re: length of jaws training

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 09:28:22 -0700

Hi Jim,

I just want to concur with Francis on the num pad topic.  The num pad is
absolutely an essential part of the Jaws keyboard commands.  It's not
optional, at all.  Every key on it, in connection with the Insert key at the
bottom (0 if you've got the num pad turned on, of course) has a specific
function for not just navigating through text, as you may be imagining, but
specifically for directing nearly every reading action of Jaws.  You operate
your PC with Jaws using a combination of the myriad Windows key commands
most people aren't aware of in conjunction  with the Jaws commands on the
num pad.

A suggestion:  I never took instruction in Jaws, or on computers, from a
skilled teacher like Francis.  But this is because I had years of experience
using a PC with more or less normal sight (now deteriorating continually due
to Retinitis Pigmentosa), plus when I got my first version of Jaws, it came
with an excellent package of audiotape tutorial cassettes.  I think Eric
Damery was the instructor.  So I put a tape player on the desk beside my
keyboard, and went through the tapes methodically, in order, pausing every
time I was instructed to try out a particular Jaws action.  It was a really
well structured tutorial.  Yes, it took some hours of concentrated
attention, as any skill worth learning  does, but I got through it with
ease, and it provided me a firm foundation as a beginning Jaws user, ready
to learn more as I went, to ask questions on a supportive, informative
mailing list forum like this one, and even, eventually, to be able to offer
helpful suggestions to others.

Now, I think I've heard that a tutorial of some sort is currently provided
in another way, either as .mp3 files on the Freedom Scientific site, or
using that other reading system they're demonstrating or selling on the
site.  But I don't know the details.  I hope someone here might be able to
fill you in on that.  There's nothing like a good tutorial.  then it becomes
a matter of methodical skill acquisition, not random guesswork, which isn't
just efficient but more frustration than anyone ought to put himself
through.

Hope this helps.  As Francis says, there aren't dumb questions at all, most
especially in this matter.  As a professional educator and trainer, Francis
knows this truth more deeply than most of us, in fact.  You're in good
company.