RE: jaws/new computer

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>, <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:52:11 -0400

Walt,

Since I re-read your message and you seem to be questioning my honesty,
I went to google and searched with the terms "dell consumer satisfaction
survey".  The first link listed was a long article on Cnet detailing
multiple surveys, from different sources, including Consumer Reports,
showing Dell's consumer satisfaction rating steadily falling.  Below is
just a short quote as an example.  I did try and say we all would have
varying opinions, but just because mine doesn't agree with yours doesn't
really call for you to question my honesty.  My memory on what I read,
ok, we all have senior moments.

" ... its score was the lowest seen since the research firm began
tracking Dell's satisfaction
levels in the first quarter of 2001. Although part of the change could
reflect Dell's rapid growth rate during 2003, the company's
fourth-quarter score
dipped well below its average rating of 82.9, said Julie Perron, manager
of primary research at TBR.

Dell doesn't dispute that its
satisfaction levels have dropped.
Instead, it is working to remedy the situation, said Gary Cotshott, vice
president and general manager of service at the Round Rock, Texas,
company.

"We recognize that we've had some issues, particularly in the client
area, which we're addressing," Cotshott said.

Hold, please
Indeed, Dell ran into a perfect storm of sorts during the period in
which the surveys were taken. Telephone tech support hold times were
lengthier--at times
they were exacerbated by occurrences such as
computer worms--
coupled with some shortages of replacement parts, Cotshott said. Dell
was also in the process of expanding and training its tech support
staff.

"We reacted to it, and we have driven improvements in the metrics that
we believe will drive through ultimately--because TBR's a lagging
indicator--as we
move through the course of the next three to six months," Cotshott
said."