Re: JAWS and Spanish Language

  • From: "Jerry Neufeld" <jerry.neufeld@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 20:32:06 -0400

Hello again Francis.

Did you check to see what keyboards have been set up in Windows? Does your
wife mark the texts she composes as being in Spanish?

Although auto language switching does not always work in Jaws, it is quite
reliable I have found. What appears to happen in MS Word and in applications
which use Word's spellchecker is that the program, Word that is, seems to
look ahead of the cursor as though it were checking for English orthography.
Where more than two words appear consecutively that are not spelled in an
English-like manner, Word seems to look at probable language candidates
according to available keyboard settings. I can write a short passage in
English, change to French, return to English, then write in Spanish and,
every time, the synthesizer faithfully follows after having missed a word or
two of the new language passage.

Regards,

Jerry