Re: Interesting E-mail Discovery

  • From: "Bill Powers" <powersradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 05:01:47 -0800

Jack,

The options you mentioned are checked by default because for some reason the
powers that be considered that in print it "looks" nicer to have quoted
print from prior e-mails indented and offset by the "greater than" signs to
visually distinguish them from the new original text in the current e-mail.
The logic is that the print reader can visually ignore the greater-than
signs very quickly and jump right to the print. However, we all knows JAWS
can't do this on its own.

My personal preference is to simply turn off all these options so that I'm
not carrying any of the previous e-mails on top of my new e-mail. In this
way I'm cutting down the size of my e-mail in case someone's ISP has a
severe size limit on the e-mails. When you consider that some people are too
lazy to do any editing at all, if you forward something and then that person
forwards it on and then that person forwards that e-mail, maybe with a line
or two of their own each time, pretty soon you have a pretty big e-mail
along with all the forwarded headers, too.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Bill Powers