Eloquence Stuttering

  • From: Caroline.Ford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 09:43:50 +0000

Hello,

I have recently installed an SB Live 5.1 sound card on my Windows 98 SE PC
running Jaws 5.  We only installed the
drivers, not the accompanying software, to save cluttering up my PC
unnecessarily, as I am really only interested in the
multi-channel capabilities of the card.  I now have multi-channel sound,
which is fine, but there is a problem with
Eloquence.  It works fine when I first boot the PC, but after a few minutes
it starts to stutter and takes longer to respond to keystrokes, and this
gets more noticeable the longer I use the PC.  I remember that some other
people have experienced this problem, and would be interested to know the
best way to solve it.  I had a look on the FS web site and found that a
replacement Eloq.jls driver file is available which has improved matters
slightly, but the stuttering still occurs to a lesser extent.

I have also tried DecAccess 32 in the hope that this speech engine might
take up less processing power and so might be a workable alternative, but
the stuttering was just as noticeable.

I have heard that Gateway produced some drivers for the Sound Blaster cards
which are supposed to remove the crackling problem under XP, but I'm
reluctant to try these unless someone can confirm that they also help the
stuttering problem in Windows 98.

Through my former sound card, an AWE 64, Eloquence did not stutter but was
slightly garbled at the beginning of lines when cursoring up and down
through a document or list of files.  Its performance was definitely not as
bad as with the new sound card though.

I'd very much appreciate any help,

Caroline Ford.
This E Mail, with attachments if any, is confidential and is intended
solely for the use of the individual or organisation to whom it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, or have received it in
error, please notify the originator immediately and delete it from your
system. You should not use, copy, alter or disclose the contents of this
message. All information contained in or opinions expressed in this E Mail
is that or are those of the author and are expressly not that or those of
North Lincolnshire Council who will not accept any liability for or arising
in any way from the contents thereof. North Lincolnshire Council accepts no
responsibility for loss or damage howsoever arising from the E Mail's use,
including from a Virus.