[jawsscripts] Re: scripting issue

  • From: "Geoff Chapman" <gch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:04:39 +1000

Hi John.

man may I just ask you, have you had much experience at scripting before?
because, well, scritping an application, especially one like this, that
sounds like it's a difficult one with dynamically altering text windows of
various people's chats etc,
man like it's not an easy task!
I'm sure doug will confirm this, whose a professional in thjis field, and
who has successfully scripted up skype chat.  Is there a reason you feel you
need to use this particular VRC application? rather than either MSN, AOL's
AIM, or Skype?

Because I'm just a bit worried you might be trying to accomplish something
that:
A. might be more advanced than is possible to solve in this kind of over the
list fashion, and/or
B. that might not be scriptable at all! depending on a range of factors
which are not going to be easily determinable?
like of course your going to want to hear just each individual chat as it
comes through. right? and then your going to want/need a way of reviewing
those in case your typing when one arrives, and you don't hear it because
you interupt it's auto speaking, etc.  And then your gunna want to be able
to scroll the chat window back, in case you get a whole bunch at once that
fills up the screen in a hurry and you need to review past pages full of
chats.  you begin to see the complexity of this?

Simply labelling a graphic where you feel the chats are appearing, is simply
not going to help you get anywhere near the user friendly scripted
accessibility I presume you'll need/be hoping for, to get this application
easily useable and accessible.

If it's a work based application, then you may need to apply for funding to
try and get a professional to come and assess the application for you, and
provide a quote as to scripting it,
but, as I say, even then, this doesn't mean it's gunna necessarily be made
accessible via scripting anywayz eh.

Just some random thoughts?

Geoff c.