[jawsscripts] An Excel script

  • From: "Reed Poynter" <reed.poynter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 11:08:32 -0700

Hi Scripters,

In Ms Excel 2003, there is a Go To dialog where you can select blocks of
data based on a top left and a bottom right cell.
For example, in a spreadsheet, you hit F5 and specify A1:G6 and hit enter.
The block of data is selected.

I want to be able to do the following.
Go to the top left cell and hit a key to save its coordinates, go to the
bottom right cell, hit a second key to save its coordinates, put the 2 saved
coordinates together in a string and put it into the go to dialog.

I don't know of anything in Excel that will do this for me.  So, I thought
I'd write a JFW script to do it.

I think my process would be to, with a hot key, save the coordinates of the
top left cell to the clipboard,
With a second hot key, capture the bottom cell coordinates, and put them
together into a string with the first coordinates once retrieved from the
clipboard.
Save this new string to the clipboard,
Open Excel's Go To dialog and paste in my coordinates.

My first problem is having the script determine the cell coordinates.
Looking through the functions in the Script Manager, the only guy I see is
GetCellCoordinates.
If I am sitting on cell A5,  GetCellCoordinates (x, y) returns integers 1
and 5.
I need something that will give me a5.
Any suggestions?

Thanks.