[jaws-uk] Re: PDF and Jaws.

  • From: "Colin Baxter" <C.R.Baxter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 16:09:03 -0000

Hi Steve,
It sounds as if your experts at work think like those at my son's.

Reverting to one of your original questions, I understand that the problems
are indeed mainly the product of how the .PDF file is set up.  Sometimes you
have a file which is a mixture of what is in essence text and what is in
reality a picture of text.  Without help, Jaws can only read the former,
which, as you will have ascertained, is normally the introductory paragraph
and/or the main headings.

Another possible approach, if you have a program like Kurzweil is to feed
your .PDF file into that so that an OCR function can be performed on it.
I've never got round to trying this out, but some people swear by it.

What I most want to do however is to be able to look directly at the
original formatting.  I have a 650 page book on Italian grammar, which, in
some passages, has been horribly scrambled in the course of being translated
into Word.  Lists and tables normally result in chaos, especially if the
table is asymmetrical with some entries occupying more than one line.  The
other hazard is that the spaces between the words frequently disappear.
Fortunately, I have a braille display, so you can look for tell-tale signs
like capital letters in the middle of words.

Good luck with your battle

Colin