[jaws-uk] Re: PDF and Jaws.

  • From: "Colin Baxter" <C.R.Baxter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 10:47:07 -0000

Hi Steve and George,
Further to the discussion of this very topic when I was having similar
problems about a couple of months ago, I'm still not able to get Adobe 7.0
to run on my system, XP Home and Jaws 7.0.  My son couldn't even persuade it
to work when Jaws wasn't running.  He tells me that at his place of work,
employing around two thousand science graduates, they've all been instructed
to remove Adobe 7.0 because it causes so much trouble.  I've now got the
highest version of 6.0 installed, and it works well apart from giving me the
problem which Steve describes.  I thought that Jaws 7.0 was supposed to make
a better fist of .PDF documents, but I haven't noticed any differences yet.

Steve may be interested to know that V6 (at least with all the updates)
contains the facility in the View Menu to have the text read by Adobe.  The
speech quality is woeful though, to be fair, I haven't yet bothered to play
with the settings.  In Adobe's Documents Menu there is an option to have
Adobe give a quick report on accessibility.  Again, you will find that, in
connection with documents which give trouble, this report will always be
unfavourable.  You will then be prompted to play with your preferences.
These are in the Edit Menu, but I haven't done this either because I haven't
a clue what any of the options mean.

I did, however, notice one really bizarre phenomenon.  The Adobe reader will
read past the place where Jaws stops.  If you then set Jaws reading, so that
you have two voices at different points in the same text, Jaws will also get
past its sticking point.

Adobe's File Menu also offers you the opportunity to convert the .PDF
document to text, but modern formatting - columns, scattered bullet points
and things in boxes - usually means that the text gets hopelessly scrambled.

The university techies are supposed to be coming to have another go at
sorting out Adobe 7.0, but I'm not holding my breath.

Cheers

Colin