[jaws-uk] PDF and Jaws.

  • From: "Steve Holmes" <steve.holmes5@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 22:14:51 -0000

I write seeking some help about PDF access.
Where I work they frequently put information on their Intranet pages in PDF and
to access the information there is Adobe Acrobat version 6.0.
As a Jaws user I've noticed that I am able to read part of the document but,
when it comes to scrolling/cursoring down to the next part it's as if you have
reached a dead end as using the cursor down key won't allow me to get any
further.  This seems to happen either part way through a page or, sometimes
where
a new page should begin.
Is this a problem relating to how the author of the document has created it or,
is it a problem relating to Jaws?  If it is related to the coding/creation
of the document what or how should the PDF document be modified to make it
accessible to users with screen reader software.  Some pages are also laid out
similarly to that of a newspaper and the text is in columns but the keystrokes
listed to navigate between columns and headings despite being listed when
one looks at the Context Sensitive Help system tell me that these aren't
available.  Your advice would be welcome.
Steve