[iyonix-support] Re: USB2 problem

  • From: John Harrison <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 20:54:50 +0100

> > > I recently installed USB2, and that procedure no longer works.  The
> > > camera won't switch off while connected to the computer.  If I turn
> > > off the computer then it will, but that never used to be necessary.

> > My olympus wont turn off either never has whilst connected, this
> > applies to other OSes I use.

> This one is so well known that most magazines covering the subject
> recommend that you use a mains derived supply for the camera or remove
> the memory card and use a card reader. If you don't you can expect a set
> of flat batteries in a very short time.

This seems to have drifted from my original question, which was about USB2
behaving differently (worse) than USB1. Previously I could happily turn the
camera on and off while connected to the computer, but now I can't.

The battery was a red herring.  It wasn't flat, in fact it was almost full,
but when the camera seemed dead, it seemed a sensible thing to try.  I had
(perhaps foolishly, since the instructions say don't do it) disconnected
the lead while the camera was on.  It then did a perfectly normal switch
off but refused to turn on again.

I haven't tried to repeat getting the camera into that state, but I can
repeat it refusing to turn off while connected, which it never used to do.

My reason for getting USB2 was to save a bit of time when downloading.  It
wasn't a problem, but I thought I might as well save a bit.)  All I have
got so far is extra hassle and time waste.

If USB1 could leave the camera not waiting for something when there are no
transfers in progress, why can't USB2 do the same?

John

--
John Harrison - using a British Iyonix PC running RISC-OS 5
http://www.jaharrison.me.uk