[iyonix-support] Re: Strange Noises

  • From: Dave Higton <davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 20:48:20 GMT

In message <883cbd644f.MThompson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Matthew Thompson <mt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've now tried a few different power cables and the noise still
> occurs, althought I haven't heard it yet today, I did try it 2 other
> rooms in different power points and heard nothing.
>
> Is it possible that the plug socket the computer is plugged into could
> be causing whatever is making the noise? as i've swtiched the machine
> to the other power point in the room to see what happens.

If it is the problem, you'll hear the noise coming from the
socket rather than the computer.

> I'm just wondering whether I should just buy a new PSU and see what
> happens, but if it doesn't solve the problem then its a waste of £40.
> Is crackling/static electricity sounds the sort of noise that a
> computer makes if the PSU is on the way out ?

Maybe; it's difficult to judge from a /description/ of the noise
rather than a /recording/ or hearing it first hand (ear?).

Computer PSUs don't generate high enough voltages to cause the
same crackling noises as you get from static electricity or
from CRT high voltage systems.  However, if an electrolytic
capacitor is failing, and the electrolyte is being converted
to gases, a similar noise may result.  If this is the problem,
then the PSU is failing, and the only arguments are about when,
and whether it will go with a final bang :-)  The problem is to
diagnose whether this really is what's happening.  I don't know
any way without opening the PSU up, which exposes you to dangers.

Dave