[iyonix-support] Slow startup

  • From: Jeremy C B Nicoll <Jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 13:08:41 +0100

Mainly for reasons of poor health I've not used my Iyonix much, so
maybe I'm asking about long-known problems.

My Panther has 5.09 in it and I've not applied any updates yet (because
I've not found out what gets updated, how to make backups, be able to
reverse updates etc etc yet).

And, on several of the times I've turned the machine on I've been very
frustrated that it just hasn't started up properly.  Usually I give up
until I next have time to think about it ... which is now.

In the last few days I've turned the machine on several times.  Mostly
it has started fine.  But yesterday it took half a dozen attempts
before it was usable.

The machine has no apps seen/started in !Boot (ie nothing extra to the
supplied !Boot).  There's two graphics cards though only currently one
monitor plugged into a card I labelled as #1.  Keyboard & mouse are
pluggd into USB sockets on the rear.  It's got USB2.

Yesterday I switched it on at the mains, at the rear PSU switch and
pressed the soft power-on button.  I left the room and came back a few
minutes later.  There was nothing displayed on the monitor.

I pressed the soft reset button.  After a few seconds it beeped and I
got the standard initial display:

  RISC OS 512 MB
  80321 Processor
  Acorn ADFS

  message saying Reporter was loaded

  Boot:Choices....various   messages
  message about DHCP establishing an IP address (that appears for
     about 3-4 seconds then vanishes again)

  Boot:Choices.Boot.PreDesk.Interim

- and that's that.  Five minutes later I'm still looking at the
..Interim message and the eggtimer is frantically pouring all the
sands of Egypt.

Suggestion: can this process, whatever it is, report what it is doing?
A status message every - say - 10 seconds would be useful.

So I press reset again.  Same thing happens.  After a while I press
reset again, and still it only gets to Interim.

Next I try powering off at the PSU as well; no help.

Next I try powering off at the mains as well; no help.

On one occasion I do see that some messages have been written to the
display at some point (at/after some of the Boot:Choices... lines), but
due to the way that Boot regularly writes details and then removes them
again, I didn't have time to read them.

Suggestion: please change the way this works so that every boot-time
message stays on the screen.  I can't help comparing this with a Linux
bootup where as each serrvice starts it says so on the console.  At
least one knows what's going on.

I did try a Shift-Boot at one stage.  The shift key press was ignored,
and boot proceeded as before.  Oddly on that occasion it then ran to
completion.

--
Jeremy C B Nicoll, Edinburgh, Scotland - my opinions are my own.