[iyonix-support] Re: Slow startup

  • From: "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 15:48:21 +0100

On 28 Oct 2006 Jeremy C B Nicoll <Jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I pressed the soft reset button.  After a few seconds it beeped and I
> got the standard initial display:
>
>   RISC OS 512 MB
>   80321 Processor
>   Acorn ADFS
>
>   message saying Reporter was loaded
>
>   Boot:Choices....various   messages
>   message about DHCP establishing an IP address (that appears for
>      about 3-4 seconds then vanishes again)

Check whatever you are using as a DHCP server (probably a router) is
functioning correctly.

>   Boot:Choices.Boot.PreDesk.Interim

This is attempting to load some interim update modules for 5.09. As a
temporary measure move this directory else where (press escap while booting
to go straight to the desktop), then reboot. I would then recommend upgrading
to 5.11.

> - and that's that.  Five minutes later I'm still looking at the
> ..Interim message and the eggtimer is frantically pouring all the
> sands of Egypt.
>
> Suggestion: can this process, whatever it is, report what it is doing?
> A status message every - say - 10 seconds would be useful.

Its hung, so no status is possible. The desktop should be reached in 30
seconds or there is a problem.

Cheers
---Dave

  David J. Ruck    Phone: +44- (0)7974 108301    Email: druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx