[iyonix-support] Re: ROM 512 and posts with =20.

  • From: Colin Granville <colin.granville@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 15:34:46 GMT

In message <3b6dec7d4e.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 30 Oct 2006  Julie <julie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 27 Oct, <Iyonix.2006a@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> In message <00206b7c4e.Chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>           Chris Terran <chris.terranova@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> Just to try here are the odd German umlauts: =E4=F6=FC :-)
>>
>> Show up fine here (using Pluto 2.04e, I really MUST upgrade!)
>
> Curiouser and curiouser.
>
> They appeared here (1) as umlauts in the original post, but as =**
> when quoted above. I wonder how they'll appear to people in this post.
>
> (1) Messenger Pro 4.12

Everybody sees =** in Julie's reply.

I'll try and explain what is going on.

There are 2 basic formats for emails 7bit characters (characters
0-127)  and 8bit characters (characters 0-255). 7bit is the prefered
format as it is guaranteed that it will be transmitted unchanged.

However with 7bit characters you can't send characters 128-255
directly so the email is encoded and characters 128-255 are converted
to =** (eg a pound sign is converted to =A3) this encoding is called
quoted-printable.

So that the client you use can convert the message back to the
original message it needs to know that the encoding is
quoted-printable. It can find this out by looking at the
'Content-Transfer-Encoding' in the header of the email.

So what has happened here is:

  1) Herbert sent an email with umlauts in. He has set his client
     to use 8bit transfers. So we all get an email showing
     umlauts. If you don't then the client you are using doesn't
     support 8bit encoding.

  2) Julie reads Herberts email and replies. Her client is set
     for 7bit transfers and so encodes her reply with
     quoted-printable encoding because she has characters in her
     email greater than 127. This changes the umlauts to
     =E4=F6=FC and adds a header line like this

     to her email

  3) We all get Julies reply but the mailing list has changed

     which it shouldn't do. So when your email client gets the
     email its told it is 8bit and therefore doesn't decode the
     quoted-printable encoding so you see the =E4=F6=FC etc.

--
Colin