[iyonix-support] Re: Performance increase with 5.12 rom and new graphics cards

  • From: Adrian Lees <adrian@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 09:49:42 +0100

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 you wrote:

> On 24 Oct 2006, Adrian Lees wrote:

> > I'm currently look at what changes Geminus will require to take advantage
> > of the GF4/5's dual head capability.
> >
> Cool, that will be great.
>
> When you say 'dual head' GF5 card, do you mean it has a dual-output
> DVi capability, and is (theoretically at the moment) capable of
> driving a SINGLE LCD monitor at mode resolutions greater than the
> 1200x1920 limit of a single DVi output?

The card that I am using is DVI-I + VGA but because Castle doesn't
have working DVI line drivers, I'm just using the DVI-A (analogue
signals) component. I expect if you hunt around you can find a card
that has two DVI connectors, but it's of limited use until the
DVI-D output can be used.

All it really buys us currently is saving a PCI slot and somewhat
better performance because (i) the card is faster and (ii) there's
no difference between moving a window between screens and moving
it around on a single screen (no need to use DMA reading and
writing from one card to another).

Conversely, operations affecting multiple screens (such as large
fill operations for window backgrounds) will likely be slower because
Geminus has always been capable of driving multiple cards/chipsets
in parallel, whereas a single dual-head card still has just
the one chipset.

Adrian