[iyonix-support] Re: New graphics card and system font

  • From: Peter Bell <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 23:37:44 +0100

In message <fe8dfb794e.druck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 22 Oct 2006 Peter Bell <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > All horizontal sections of the displayed system font characters seem to
> > be of the original weight, but the vertical sections are heavier/broader.
>
> Vertical strokes in the ROM system font have always been two pixels wide.
> Are you sure you are using the same font as before? You may have been
> using a custom bitmap font loaded in your boot sequence rather the default
> ROM system font. I used to have lots of them, but don't use them anymore as
> Zap has its own bitmap fonts in many sizes, styles and weights.

Ah, sorted it!  The video signal characteristics must be slightly
different and my monitor was displaying the image slightly shifted to
the left.  There must have been a mismatch in horizontal positioning
between the physical pixel on the display and the video signal timing
for each pixel, causing a horizontal spread.  Forcing an image adjust
from the monitor's menu resolved it!

Clearly, this offset wasn't apparent on an anti-aliased font, but was
very obvious on bitmapped font.

--
Peter Bell - peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx