[iyonix-support] Re: Lazy Task Swapping on Iyonix/RISC OS 5.11

  • From: Martin <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 21:26:56 +0100

In article <e689573a4e.jb@xxxxxxxxxx>,
   jb <jwb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi

> (watching with interese...)

> In message
> <4e3a1fb755Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Martin <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[Snip]

> > I had the BM problem just now, and Alt-Break stopped it and has
> > revived the machine!

> given what you do with reporter etc, do you have any way of capturing
> the state of things/state of BM (or etc) prior to/during the alt-break
> bit .. i.e. before it has been sent to oblivion?

[Snip]

Two things I have managed to do ...

1.  I have written a simple program in Basic which PollIdles every 1 cs,
when it just randomly reads a few pages from within its application
workspace. This was an attempt at trying to mimic the problem I and
others have with freezes, when BookMaker is (usually) the first task
named on Alt-Break.

And (after several days of running, tweaking the program, etc) IT HAS
JUST FROZEN and it was the first task named after Alt-Break  :-))))

This confirms, to me at least, that it is not BookMaker causing the
problem, it is something else which affects it and my program.

I could change my program to log what it is doing which may help identify
when it freezes, but the logging overhead would be so large for such a
long time I suspect it would just obscure the issue.

2.  I have changed Reporter so that it will be easy to dump some
information when the Alt-Break error message is displayed, just by
pressing an additional 'Report' button on the error dialog.

Trouble is, I am not sure what to dump at this point :-((

I can get the current TaskHandle, and I would love to be able to dump the
user? registers (especially R15) for the task at the time of the
Alt-Break interrupt. They must be around somewhere - if anyone knows
where, please let me know! Any information about the TaskManager or
WindowManager workspace contents in RO5.11 could be a great help, as
would details of how the Watchdog actually operates when Alt-Break is
pressed.

The registers may start to give some clues as to where the program was at
the time of the Alt-Break, and what it might have been doing. Hopefully
then the test program can be refined to provoke the problem more readily.

In view of the suspicions about page swapping, it may also be useful if
part (I hope not all all) of the page information could be dumped. How
can I find the state of the pages allocated to the task involved? I
cannot see how to do it with either OS_Read/FindMemMapEntries.

So, my investigations are continuing, but a little information would help
speed things up.

Note that there is still no evidence that this 'Freeze' problem is
related to the corrupted screen pixels problem.

Martin

--
Martin Avison      using a British Iyonix running RISC OS 5
                   and the Pluto mail and newsreader