[iyonix-support] Re: Lazy Task Swapping on Iyonix/RISC OS 5.11

  • From: "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 18:46:57 +0100

On 20 Jun 2006 Paul Vigay <lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <4e39ec68e4Jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Jeremy C B Nicoll <Jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Do the page tables contain any guard words, or flag bytes/words which
> > normally have only a small number of possible values?  If so, what about
> > someone writing a program that scans the tables looking for evidence of
> > them having been overwritten?

There are no guard worlds only a series of word wide descriptors. The memory
used to hold them cannot be corrupted by normal programs.

> I guess a follow-up question would be, is there any detailed technical
> information available? There's nothing useful in the PRMs and I can't find
> anything technical online.

Its beyond the scope of documentation aimed at application programmers.
See the ARM Architecture Referecence Manual MMU section, and for general
concepts and the 80200 Micro Architecture Developes Manual for details of the
differences in Intels implementation.

Cheers
---Dave

  David J. Ruck    Phone: +44- (0)7974 108301    Email: druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx